OBJECTIVE or GOAL
Create an export method that exports database fields and tables
- Empower 2
- Empower 3
Creating an Export Method that Exports Database Fields and Tables - You can create an export method that exports database fields and/or tables in ASCII format (without specifying a report method) when you want to export large tables of data.
- Access the Project window.
- Select File > New Method > Export Method. The Export Method Editor appears.
- Click the Fields tab.
- Enter up to 32 characters for the filename. Empower software adds four additional characters (the ID from the database) to the end of the filename at the time of export.
- Do either of the following:
- To export data as a file, select the Export ASCII check box, and then specify the destination for the exported file in the field to the right. The destination can be a local or network drive or folder. Click the browse button on the right to locate and select the destination.
- To export data by e-mail, select the Export E-Mail check box, and then click From E-Mail or From Field. From E-Mail specifies that the data is exported as an e-mail attachment and sent to the e-mail address you enter. From Field specifies that data is exported as an e-mail attachment (using an Empower field name that corresponds to an e-mail address). Note: to use this export technique, your Empower system must be set up to handle MAPI-compliant e-mail. If necessary, contact your system administrator.
- If you select From E-Mail, enter an e-mail address (or multiple, semicolon-separated addresses), and then click Verify to start a check of the e-mail addresses. If an address does not correspond to a MAPI-compliant name in your e-mail system, an error message appears.
- If you select From Field, click Select to open the Select Field dialog box, where you select the Empower field name (typically a custom sample identifier) that corresponds to a destination e-mail address, and then click OK. The field name appears in the field to the left.
- Specify a report type:
- Individual – Specifies that the export method include a separate report for each of the exported data (unprocessed channel or injection, processed result, method, and so on). For data in a sample set or result set, separate reports are generated for each channel or result in the set.
- Summary By All – Specifies that the export method include one summary report for the exported data items.
- Summary By Vial – Specifies that the export method include one summary report for each vial in the exported data items.
- Summary By Injection – Specifies that the export method include one summary report for each injection in the exported data items.
- Select or enter optional column, row, and text delimiters.
- If you use the method to export both fields and table, select the Export Order Fields First or Table First).
- If you export the table:
- Enable Export Table Data.
- Enable Export Row Numbers (useful if exporting into a LIMS system).
- Click Load Table. The Open Table dialog box appears.
- Select a table type from the list and then click Open. The table loads into the table area in the Export Method Editor.
- If you want to modify the table, click Edit Table.
- You can customize the format of information in the export file, as follows:
- Export Field Data – Exports sample identifier labels (Sample Name, for example). You must select this check box before you set the Label Orientation parameter or enter sample identifier labels into the table.
- Label Orientation – Sets the orientation (Row or Column) of sample identifiers and sample identifier data.
- Sample Identifier List/Sample Identifier Table – Specifies sample identifiers to include in the export file. Select a sample identifier from the list, and then double-click the identifier (or drag it) to the table on the right. Sample identifiers in the table are included in the export file.
- Save the method.
See additional articles on creating Export Methods: