- RS232 cable is connected from MS to PC
- Hyperterminal is started using COM1
- No arrow cursor (>) appears, only the placemarker (_)
- System does not respond
- Tried the alternative port speed setting (See article #2838, Nonsense characters in Hyperterminal Log)
- Xevo TQ-S micro with new Kontron EPC (PCB SAP part number 700011091)
- Xevo TQD with new EPC (PCB SAP part number 700011089)
- SQ Detector 2 (SQD2) with new EPC (PCB SAP part number 700011089)
The new EPC requires a null modem cable to communicate with the PC via Hyperterminal.
This is due to pins 2 and 3 of the serial port being swapped on PCB 210001013, compared with the old PCB.
FIX or WORKAROUND
- Use a male-female null modem cable (RS232 with pins crossed) or a female-female cable with a male-male gender-changing adaptor.
(The male-male gender-changing adaptor is not currently available as a spare. Please source locally.
The female-female null modem cable is SAP part number 8932388-S.)
See this article by National Instruments: The Difference Between a Null Modem and Straight Through Serial Cable
Waters does not currently supply any 9-way, M-M gender changers. We are working to have this item available. When it is available as a spare, the part number will be added to this article.