OBJECTIVE or GOAL
Clean the internal components of a Penning vacuum gauge.
- Xevo TQ-S
- Xevo TQ-XS
- Rotate the collar clockwise to unscrew it from the body tube.
- Remove the anode assembly and the O-ring.
- With lock-ring pliers, remove the circle clip from the body tube.
- Remove the cathode tube and the cathode plate.
- The anode assembly has a bracket mounted close to the disk on the anode; use a strip of fine emery paper to clean the gap. Ensure that the gap is 0.25 mm, minimum.
- Use emery paper or a fiberglass pen to clean the cathode tube, the cathode plate, and the body tube.
- Further clean the cathode tube, the cathode plate, and the body tube as follows: Sonicate in 1:1 methanol/water for 30 minutes; rinse with 100% water and then with 100% methanol; blow dry with nitrogen.
- Fit the cathode plate and tube in the body tube and secure with the circle clip.
- Fit a new O-ring and the anode assembly into the body tube, ensuring that the orientation is correct.