- Failed to calibrate system volume
- All other diagnostics pass (Syringe Leak, BSM Dynamic Leak, VDD calibrates reproducibly, and so on)
- M-Class Sample Manager Fixed Loop (SM-FL)
- ACQUITY UPLC Sample Manager
- ACQUITY I-Class SM-FL
- Solvent 100% Methanol or 100% organic solvent
- VDD is not recognizing the air gap that it is seeking during the pressurized portion of the characterization.
- Observed rise in pressure during the pressurized measurement, then the failure will occur (VDD doesn't find the air gap)
- The characterization will stop and the pressure will slowly drift lower.
FIX or WORKAROUND
- Switch to appropriate solvent or organic and water
- Increase the size of the air gaps:
- Edit the instrument/inlet method where custom air gaps are programmed between 6uL and 8uL (the automatic value is 4 uL).
- Setup or load the method in order for the instrument to accept the new set air gap values.
- Needle Loop and Characterization will use the conditions of the last valid (setup/loaded) method to perform the characterization.
- The larger air gaps prevent the organic solvent from completely dissolving the air gaps.
Failing Test Pressure Trace:
Passing Test Pressure Trace