OBJECTIVE or GOAL
Stop and start BI Services with EDS365.
- The OBIEE dashboards are not rendering, and the following message is seen:
"Error 500--Internal Server Error
From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request."
- Select and double-click the 'STOP BI Services' icon on the desktop. When you select it, a couple of cmd prompt windows appear describing how the admin server and other items are closing. You need to leave these windows open; they will close on their own. This can take a few minutes because there are many components to close.
- Once the services have closed cleanly, you can shut down or restart the server if necessary. As part of the configuration of the EDS, when the server is powered-up, the services start automatically in the background via the task scheduler. You need to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the services to complete. Then, to confirm they are up, load the browser and log in.
- If you are not rebooting the server, you can simply select and double-click the 'START BI Services' icon on the desktop.
- In SR4, this means that the cmd prompt windows that are opened during manual restart MUST stay open on the desktop; these can be minimized but not closed. If they are closed, they will kill the services.
- In SR5, these cmd windows will close on their own once the services are started.
Before initiating a server reboot, it is VERY important to ensure that the server is not performing ETL. To check this, refer to KCS 24590.
Also refer to wkb2800 for further instructions on the restarting of the services if failures still occur.
Due to the nature of the services and their requirements, we also recommend that any upgrades to the server that require a reboot such as windows updates etc, are performed in a controlled environment where the server can be closed cleanly before these updates are installed.