- The error message "Server [name] is not valid" appears when a user loads SDMS WebVision
- NuGenesis 9 SDMS
- NuGenesis 8 SDMS
The TNS Service Name, as entered into the System Data Source Names (DSNs) for NuGenesis, does not match a server name in the database server list.
FIX or WORKAROUND
- Log in to the SDMS web server and open the ODBC Admin tool:
- Start > All Programs > Waters Oracle Client > Configuration Tools > Microsoft ODBC Administrator
- Select one of the SDMS DSNs and click Configure:
- Look for any spaces before or after the service name; delete any blank spaces found. (Blank spaces alone can cause this issue.)
- Log in to SDMS Administrator and expand the Master List.
- Look for the TNS Service Name within the Master List.
- If the TNS Service Name is not found within the Master List, then either add the service name to the list or alter the TNS Service Name to match an entry in the Master List. The TNS Service Name must match an entry in the tnsnames.ora file.
- If you make any changes to the DSNs, click OK to save and close the changes.
- If you make no changes to the Master List, click the Actions menu > Update Local List within SDMS Administrator, so that the local XML copy of the list matches the database.
- Close and reopen Internet Explorer and browse to WebVision to confirm that the issue has been fixed.
Note that the "Server [name] is not valid" message is different than the similarly worded message "Server Group is not valid". This article covers the first case. For the "Server Group" case, consult the article Error "'NG24034' Server Group is not valid" occurs when loading WebVision.