OBJECTIVE or GOAL
The NuGenesis 8 SDMS web client, WebVision, is supported only in Internet Explorer 8 and later, and only with Compatibility View active. This header will activate Compatibility View for everyone who browses to the WebVision client.
- NuGenesis 8 SDMS
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2012
- Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Select the Default Web Site in IIS and double-click the HTTP Response Headers button.
- Click the Add button.
- Specify the following name: X-UA-Compatible.
- Specify the following value: IE=5.
- Click OK in the message box.
Confirm that Compatibility View is active for WebVision:
- Load the WebVision site in Internet Explorer.
- Press the F12 key on the keyboard (or the Tools menu > F12 Developer Tools option).
- Select the Emulation tab within the Developer Tools pane.
- The Document mode should be "5", and it should mention the X-UA-Compatible header.
Adding the X-UA-Compatible header to the default website in IIS means that applications within the site—such as SampleShare, WatersLMS, or the Manual Upload Tool—may inherit the setting. It has no impact on /WATERSLMS/ because the product no longer includes a web client, and the SOAP communications sent by the site are not handled by Internet Explorer. SampleShare, by default, sets this header to IE=Edge for its site, and IIS does not inherit settings to applications if the app sets its own setting, so SampleShare is not affected. The Manual Upload tool would be affected, but this tool is not deployed as part of the core product; it is one of the tools in the SDMS Utilities release. If the Manual Upload tool is installed under the same Default Web Site as WebVision, the header must be set to IE=Edge for the Manual Upload site, so that it does not inherit IE=5 from the parent site.
Microsoft has an MSDN article on the X-UA-Compatible HTTP header and other means of specifying document modes in Internet Explorer: Specifying legacy document modes.