- Connection attempt times out and you get an Oracle error: -1
- Empower 3 client
DNS has two entries for the Empower server instead of one.
FIX or WORKAROUND
- Ping the Empower server by name.
- Ping the Empower server by IP address.
- If it pings by IP, but not by name, then the problem is most likely a DNS issue.
- Have the domain administrator check the DNS table entries for the Empower server name to correct the address translation.
- As a work-around, modify the client's tnsnames.ora file to use the IP address instead of the Empower server name as the host entry.
Confirm that the database is seen on the network by going to a command prompt and typing tnsping "database name".
You should see an OK message and a response time in msec if the database was successfully found.