- The mass spectrometer is missing from the MS console.
- The console only shows the ACQUITY.
- Rebooting the PC does not resolve the issue.
- May have an Unhandled Exception error:
- Xevo or Synapt G2 Mass Spectrometers
- Any Waters Mass Spectrometer that should show up in the console
Corrupt xml files
FIX or WORKAROUND
- Exit MassLynx.
- Run the StopACQUITYProcesses.cmd from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waters Instruments\Bin".
- Navigate to C:\MassLynx\Intellistart\Configuration.
- Rename any of the xml files that are blank when opened. The usual culprit is UserCustomConfigurations.xml, but there could be more.
- Restart MassLynx. The deleted corrupted xml files should regenerate automatically. If not, repeat steps 1 through 3 and replace the corrupt xml files with files from another instrument. If you have no access to "good" xml files, contact Waters Technical Support at 1-888-292-8377.
In one case it was reported the new files were found in following location: C:\Users\administrators
This solution has also worked in cases where the MS was missing from the console but no Unhandled Exception error pop ups occurred.