OBJECTIVE or GOAL
Determine if there is a small obstruction in your needle that is preventing accurate sample aspiration. Perform these steps if you have poor injection reproducibility and/or low sample recovery.
- ACQUITY UPLC H-Class
- ACQUITY UPLC I-Class
- Prime the syringe several times.
- Ensure that there are no air bubbles in the syringe and that the sample pressure trace shows a clear plateau whenever the syringe pushes up.
- After a few successful primes, prime the syringe once more.
- When the syringe is full of liquid (i.e., at its lowest point, with the metal plunger completely exposed), quickly select "Reset" on the SM-FTN in the ACQUITY console.
- The FTN will reset and go through its startup diagnostics, including homing the RTZ axis.
- At the end of the startup diagnostics, the needle will park itself at the drain, and the syringe will push up to its home position, forcing the liquid in the syringe to go through the needle into the drain.
- If any partial clog exists in the needle, the FTN will display a "Sample Fluidics High Pressure Limit" error.
- If no error is seen, the needle is most likely clear.
- If the error occurs, replace the needle.