OBJECTIVE or GOAL
Determine the UPLC column closest in efficiency to the HPLC column.
- ACQUITY UPLC
- CORTECS UPLC Columns
- plate count
- equivalent performance
- Use the HPLC column dimension as the starting point. Example: 3.5µm, 4.6 x 150mm
- Determine the L/dp ratio, where L = column length and dp = particle size.
- The L/dp ratio is 150/3.5 = 42.
- Find the column chemistry closest to the original HPLC column chemistry. ACQUITY UPLC particle sizes are 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 µm, depending on the brand.
- The L/dp ratio of 75/1.7 = 44.
For additional information, see The Promise of Small Particles.